Friday, April 12, 2013

Low Carb Dieting and Bad Breath

So I was talking with a friend who is on the Atkins Diet.  She was talking about how great it was because she can eat bacon, steak and all this other good stuff.  She does miss her starch, but she keeps saying how it's worth it and how it's the best thing ever.  I do have to admit that she's lost a bit of weight. 

She then mentioned that her breath smells different.  She was saying how it's similar to weight lifters who increase their protein.  Their breath starts to smell funny.  I guess it's called ketosis breath.  She seems not too overly concerned though, but it made me think of Body Mint.  I asked her if she heard of it and she said no.  I told her about my little experiment and she didn't seem to interested.  Oh well.

So I did a little research on the side.  Apparently, people who are on low carb diets tend to have bad breath because of the meats and fats they are eating.  In normal quantities along with a balanced diet it isn't a big deal, but when you're loading up, I guess it can start to seep out... gross!

So high protein foods are also high in stinky gases.  They get absorbed into the body and have to come out somewhere.... that somewhere tends to be the biggest hole in the body... the mouth.

Well, because I'm weird like that I went back to my friend and told her about it.  I also asked her to try the Body Mint and let me report on her for my blog.  I told her I'd keep it total anonymous.  After a few days of asking she's finally agreed.

Yay!  A new test subject other than myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment